Formation as WBPA
The founders of the Wisconsin Bituminous Paving Association drafted and ratified the organization’s constitution on December 13, 1948. On December 28 of that year, the WBPA officially incorporated.
The purpose of the organization was twofold: to promote quality of hot mix asphalt pavement and to act as a public relations liaison with all units of government and the private sector.
The original members were:
Walter Bechthold, Payne & Dolan, Inc.
J.E. Schultz and L.W. Kahl, Rein, Schultz and Dahl
L.M. Hayes, Rock Road Construction
R.L. Miller, Reliance
Orville Murphy, Black Creek Construction
Milton Neils, Alexander
Lowell Turner, Turner Construction
Henry White, White Construction
Walter Bechthold was the first President; J.E. Schultz was the first Secretary/Treasurer.
The organization remained relatively inactive for a decade, but with initiation of the Interstate Highway System under President Eisenhower’s in 1956, Wisconsin’s asphalt industry was poised to take an active role in new highway construction in the state.
WBPA was reorganized and revitalized at Madison’s Park Hotel in 1956, Mike Hayes was selected President; R.L. Miller became Vice President, and L.W. Kahl became Secretary/Treasurer.
At that time, Ed Konkol was appointed the first full-time Executive Director of the WBPA. This marked the beginning of active representation of the asphalt industry in Wisconsin that continues to this day.
An amendment was made to the Articles of Incorporation on April 13, 1965, changing the organization’s name to its current form: the Wisconsin Asphalt Pavement Association.
Six Decades of Leadership
A History in Documents
Click any image to open.
WBPA’s Original Articles of Incorporation, December 1948
First page of the Constitution and Bylaws, December 1948
Flash! Emergency Alert Letterhead, late 1950s
Magic Carpet, The Story of Asphalt, circa 1957
Asphalt Institute Advertisements, late 1950s
Matchbook Cover, late 1950s