Environmental Leadership Awards
For more than 20 years, WAPA's Environmental Leadership Awards program has recognized asphalt plants that go above and beyond Wisconsin's already high environmental standards. To earn this award, a permanent or portable asphalt plant must achieve the highest ratings in community and environmental excellence via a rigorous, independent inspection of their facilities.
This year, six plants won renewal awards and six more were recognized for the very first time:
- 2023 Renewal Awards -- Permanent Plants
- Rock Road Companies (Janesville)
- D.L. Gasser Construction Plant 65 (Baraboo)
- Northeast Asphalt, Inc. Control 67 (Glenmore)
- Payne + Dolan Control 5 (Fitchburg)
- 2023 Renewal Awards -- Portable Plants
- American Asphalt of Wisconsin Plant 54
- American Asphalt of Wisconsin Plant 76
- 2023 New Awards -- Portable Plants
- American Asphalt of Wisconsin Plant 43
- American Asphalt of Wisconsin Plant 82
- Iverson Construction Plant 15
- Monarch Paving Company Plant 27
- Monarch Paving Company Plant 28
- Rock Road Companies Portable Plant
The Environmental Leadership Program would not be possible without the cooperation of the environmental compliance staff at our member companies: Jim Mertes and Zach Leitner with the Walbec Group; Tara Wetzel and Beth Stuhr with Mathy Construction; Tina Neuman and Greg Montgomery with Monarch Paving Company; Gus Small and Ryan Spies with Rock Road Companies, Inc.; and Matt Groehler with Wolf Paving. We appreciate their help in scheduling plant inspections and making sure everything goes smoothly.
Finally, our thanks go out to Tom Stibbe and Marty Burkholder, formerly with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, who have both worked with us over the years to conduct the inspections. We are fortunate to have Tom and Marty on our team putting in this effort throughout the year.