Are you an experienced commercial pavement professional who is willing to travel and is energized by being part of a team that has high standards and provides clients with an unmatched level of service, quality assurance, and attention to detail? If so, and you are someone who values strong and lasting relationships that are built on trust, then we want to talk to you!
Our ideal candidate is:
- Humble. They are quick to point out contributions of others and define success collectively rather than individually. They support healthy conflict and enjoy sharing credit with the team. They are focused on fostering trust and they lead by example. They are willing to do any level of work and chip in whenever needed.
- Hungry. Goes above and beyond to achieve team goals. Self-motivated and diligently looks for the next challenge. Encourages others on the team to continuously improve and holds themselves and others accountable. Passionate about their work and their team.
- People Smart. Strong interpersonal skills and trustworthy. Quick to build trust among their coworkers. Has good judgment and intuition around the subtleties of group dynamics and understands the impact of their words and actions. A sense of humor is a must.
- Balanced. Smart, organized, process-oriented, and strategic. Able to think ahead and see the bigger picture.
- Self-Aware. Handles problems proactively with good judgment and humility. Strong and responsive communicator, down to earth, and not easily offended.
- Disciplined. Firmly rooted in their core values and does the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Goal-Oriented. Focuses on their own goals as well as the goals of the team and the organization.
- Confident. Strong and logical. Calm and cool under pressure.
- Lifelong Learner. Always looking to do more, learn more, and grow.
Teamwork, Support, and Process
Core Pavement Consulting Services
Pavement Investigations and Analysis:
- Investigate, inventory, analyze, rate and document existing pavement conditions, typically on commercial and industrial facilities. Perform ADA compliance analysis for exterior pavements.
- Develop, justify and budget appropriate recommendations for pavement repairs, pavement replacements and preventive maintenance in support of the client’s objectives and best interests.
- Prepare reports and collaborate with administrative and drafting staff for development of client deliverables.
- Develop and maintain pavement management programs for national multi-facility clients.
Pavement Design, Plans and Specifications, and Bid Services:
- Perform field visits and conduct highly detailed pavement design investigations, identify and prioritize project-specific design criteria, develop viable pavement rehabilitation, parking/layout and surface drainage improvements, ADA remediation and construction phasing options for client consideration and communicate to client via narrative design development report.
- Collaborate with internal drafting staff on site improvement concepts and design plans.
- Develop detailed, customized plans and specifications for competitive bidding.
- Assist with bidder prequalification, hold pre-bid meetings and issue documentation, and assist client with review and analysis of bids.
Construction Phase Services:
- Perform contract administration services, review contractor submittals, conduct pre-construction and weekly progress meetings, perform final inspections and issue completion punch lists.
- Provide support for field consultant(s) performing construction observation, including peer review of daily construction reports.
- Perform interim review of work-in-process, asphalt or concrete plant material and installation testing properties for compliance.
- Prepare analysis reports in support of planning, design, and construction.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong work ethic in achieving personal and company goals.
- Proficient at verbal, written and graphic communication including interpretation of drawings and specifications.
- Ability to manage and deliver multiple project tasks, with limited supervision and guidance, and a commitment to technical excellence, quality, integrity and dependability.
- Desire to establish and maintain effective working relationships with client representatives, contractors, pavement suppliers and other participants.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office suite products (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience with use of iPad and related technology, including smart phone and laptop.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and technical capacity/ability.
- Driven, self-motivated and positive-minded person.
- Passion for learning and must be able to work and learn independently as well as in a team environment.
- Passion for teaching. Willing to mentor and train.
- Encourages the flow of communication and fosters relationships throughout the company and with clients, contractors and manufacturers.
- Communicates with teammates and leadership to effectively balance workload.
Experience and Qualifications
- Ability and willingness to travel to projects sites throughout the United States as needed (approximately 35%-50% of time).
- Relevant experience base in commercial and industrial civil and transportation engineering, pavement design and construction and/or pavement quality assurance.
- Ability to apply technical skills and research to meet project demands and solve problems for our clients.
- Ability to build and maintain positive client relationships.
- Strong passion in the continuous pursuit of technical excellence, learning and improvement.
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize projects with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Relevant experience in commercial and industrial pavement design, construction and/or quality assurance.
- Physical requirements include:
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform close-view visual analysis of pavements, which requires standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, and stoop for extended periods of time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering or construction management.
- Minimum of five (5) years previous experience and registration as a Professional Engineer or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Experience and/or leading project management, design and construction administration of civil/pavement commercial and industrial projects including PASER pavement rating system, pavement thickness design, site improvements, survey/grading plans including use of AutoCAD Civil 3D, construction staking, electronic grading systems, stormwater/drainage and utilities.
- Experience working with asphalt and concrete material quality compliance.
- Experience with developing new business and estimating and/or writing proposals for future opportunities.
- Experience working with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System. Benchmark uses Deltek.
- Experience with EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System).
We offer an unmatched professional culture with a family feel and where community matters. We provide opportunity for professional and personal growth to all employees. We think and act according to our core values – they are at the very heart of everything we do:
- Be a strong team based on relationship and trust.
- Be really committed to being technically excellent.
- Be a benchmark.
Benchmark employees enjoy a full suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, disability (short and long-term), supplemental insurances (accident and critical illness), employee assistance program, 401(k) with employer matching contributions, and paid vacation, holidays, and volunteer days.
How to Apply
Visit our careers page on our website: https://www.benchmark-inc.com/careers/.