Payne & Dolan, Inc., a Walbec Group Company
Under the direction of the Grading Manager, the Construction Surveyor will be responsible for providing support to Area and Project Managers in the field by preparing and providing surveying and mapping services of land or land features for horizontal construction layouts.
Role and Responsibilities
- Prepare drawings depicting existing & proposed areas, elevations, features, etc. (parking lots, main line roadways, etc.).
- Verify the accuracy of survey data, including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
- Conduct surveys in order to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles.
- Record the results of surveys, including the shape, contour, location, elevation, and dimensions of land or land features.
- Calculate heights, depths relative positions, property lines, and other characteristics of terrain.
- Plan and conduct ground surveys designed to establish baselines, elevations, and other measurements.
- Adjust surveying instruments in order to maintain their accuracy.
- Determine longitudes and latitudes of important features and boundaries in survey areas using transits, levels and satellite-based positioning systems (GPS).
- Manage in-office plotters to make sure always available to personnel including assisting personnel in creating and plotting maps/plans.
- Assist in preparing for permits & applications.
- Assist in other projects and duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Experience and technical training in surveying, civil engineering, or a related field will be considered.
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in the construction industry.
- Basic survey skills and knowledge of the correct and safe usage of surveying equipment.
- Experience in surveying software.
- Experience in blueprint reading and understanding contract documents.
- Ability to work in construction job site conditions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs.
- Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Organized with strong follow-up skills.
- Strong analytical skills, detailed-orientated, self-motivated, and team-orientated.
- Associates Degree in Civil Technology, Drafting Technology, or Architectural Technology.
Must have reliable transportation and show up to work on time every scheduled day. Must be willing to travel to any and all job sites without exception. The ability to work varied hours including nights, early mornings, and weekends as needed.
The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
|Climbing||A||3||2||Going up and down ladders, stairs, and ramps. Using of feet and legs, and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized|
|Balancing||A||5||1||Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces|
|Stooping||A||2||1||Bending body downward and forward by bending at the waist. This task is important if it occurs a considerable degree and requires full use of the lower extremities and back muscles|
|Kneeling||A||3||1||Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees|
|Crouching||A||3||1||Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine|
|Crawling||B||1||1||Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet|
|Pulling/Pushing||A||3||4||Using upper arms and shoulders to exert force in order to draw, drag, or tug objects in a sustained motion.|
|Lifting||A||4||5||Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper arms, shoulders, and back.|
|Fingering||A||3||1||Picking, pinching, typing, keyboarding, or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than whole hand or arms as in handling|
|Grasping||A||4||3||Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palms|
|Feeling||B||1||1||Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.|
|Reaching||A||5||5||Raising arms from a lower in all planes and directions, to conduct task. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper arms, shoulders, and back muscles.|
|Standing||A||5||1||To support oneself on the feet in an erect position|
|Walking||A||5||4||To move along on foot: advance by steps.|
|Handling||A||4||4||Using of hands to grasp, lift and use tools and material|
|Sitting||C||–||–||To rest on the buttocks or haunches, while using upper extremities.|
Critical How important is the item to completion of assigned responsibilities A = essential to the job B = required, but not essential C = not required Frequency How often does the job require the employee to demonstrate the task 1 = less then 10% of time 2 = from 11 25 % of time 3 = from 26 50 % of time 4 = from 51 75 % of time 5 = from 75 100 % of time Intensity Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of weight to the completion of assigned responsibilities 1 = less then 10 lbs. 2 = from 10 24 lbs. 3 = from 25 49 lbs. 4 = from 50 74 lbs. 5 = from 74 99 lbs. 6 = from 100 lbs. and up
Environmental Requirements for surveyor position
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
- Be able to tolerate variable weather conditions from extreme heat to cold
- Work in a dirty and dusty environment
- Be able to walk and/or stand for extended time (up to an entire day’s shift)
- Be able to comprehend, understand and follow policies, procedures and safety requirements
- Have the ability to hear and see to the level of accomplishment for above requirements
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees.